Tuesday, July 01, 2008

A Short History of Deception

I'm back. This is the start of a longer thing I'm working on. Blogger won't let me use bolds, italics, and occasionally tabs, so it may be a little confusing. I also promise that his will take on a more narrative quality later on, but for now, I look forward to your comments. The basic idea is that this will work as a history, with two witnesses and commentators telling the story, and with some primary sources interspersed throughout.


A History of Deception
You and I, tempted by the promise of a different life
Time has fled, there’s a constant battle runnin’ through my head.
-Richard Thompson
Jen

I knew that something was wrong with Stephen when his calls began to come regularly and started to write me letters again. When first left home, he wrote once a week for several months, then stopped with the explanation that life was going well. I didn’t hear from him for three years. Then, as if he had never stopped, one of those thick envelopes with two too many stamps arrived in my box. His characteristic scrawl leaned all over the front of the envelope. Inside, the familiar malaise-filled letter and six or seven poems that could have been worthwhile if he ever cared to really work on them.

This occurred before that dreadful business in Scotland, about which many claim to know. Suffice to say that I might have paid a little more attention to what was between the lines if I had been in Sacramento. As it was, it surprised me that he had even found my new address.

- - -

Yes, I knew Stephen Baker when we were younger, and then a bit longer. One might describe him as a contradiction, but that would be too trite. I prefer the image of a pendulum—swinging back and forth between two poles but never resting in the middle. On one end, the life of the mind; he could be intellectually brilliant when he wanted to be. On the other, a sordid, drunken, shell of an animal that he unsuccessfully tried to hide.

Of course, when a pendulum stops swinging and rests, it is useless. Personally, I think he began to unwind when he came to believe that he needed to maintain some equilibrium. In doing so, he lost himself. He did not realize that there is as much equilibrium in motion—what Bergson calls duration—as in stasis. It was that very motion that individualized him. All of this will become apparent as events unfold.

Physically, he is an attractive man, though not so much so as to define him entirely. Let us begin with the basics: The last time I saw him he was just over six feet tall and 180 pounds, dark hair shortly cropped; thin expressive lips. Small hands, roughly calloused with feet just as small and skinny legs from which began to lose hair at the age of seventeen. A fairly toned body made possible by exercise in which he would fanatically participate until interrupted by the illnesses that frequently struck him. I wasn’t more attracted to him than anyone else, but I could certainly see the appeal.

His demeanor is more difficult to pin down. He could (and often did) charm the pants off nearly anyone. He could also be (and frequently was) one of the grumpiest, crankiest, most cantankerous people you could ever have the misfortune to meet. He wanted to be alone; he hated to be alone. He could justify the most obvious egotism with a queer rationality, and then turn around and commit the most stunning acts of generosity, which he labored to keep unseen. Everything right one minute and everything wrong the next. I imagine that to this day he persists in declaring his hatred of driving while simultaneously refusing to allow anyone else to sit behind the wheel. He could engage in remarkable stretches of self-discipline, feverishly working on something for weeks and ignoring any distractions. Other times, the merest excuse would have him out with a drink in one hand, a woman in the other, and raving about the incoherence of all humanity by the end of the night.

“I am perfectly aware of, and willing to acknowledge, these flaws,” he once said to me after I presented him with a more tactful reproduction of the list above, “but I do not want to be reminded of them.”

That is really what it comes down to: Stephen didn’t want to be reminded…of anything. So imagine, then, the ensuing chaos when he fell in Love with a woman whom he sometimes referred to as his Alarm Clock.

- - -

Derek

The first thing you’ve got to know about Steve is that he’s a very smart guy who loves to fuck very dumb girls. That’s the crux of the problem right there. That and the fact that he wants to believe, at least at first, that these very dumb girls have a modicum of intelligence. I think he confused the word "slut” with “freethinker,” but you probably shouldn’t put that in the book.

Look, here’s what you’ve really got to know no matter what anyone else says about him. Steve always tried to see the best in his women for as long as he could. He would meet a girl while he was out, bring her home, and the next day he would rave about “the conversation.”

“Derek,” he’d say, “we actually talked and it was great. She could actually keep up. I never meet girls that can keep up, that are really interested in things.”

This was when he was sober. When his mind was really working, it was hard for anyone to keep up. But when he was out he was always hammered, and when he was hammered, he had a very average intelligence and extraordinary confidence. Anyone could get Steve when he was hammered, and to be frank, he could be more likeable if you were meeting him for the first time. More laid back, less dismissive, much more patient. In most respects he was a normal guy, and the few quirks he kept seemed to make him an attractive individual.

- - -

The two other guys we lived with in those days were always shocked at how many girls he brought back.

“He doesn’t even like people,” Cal said.

“I know he takes what he can get,” said John, “but he’s not exactly scraping the bottom of the barrel. All he does is read all day. What gives?”

I could have told them now. Steve had a sense of purpose and could be gregarious in spite of his nature. When those two sides of him got hot, they alloyed.

Like the rest of us, nothing could ignite him more quickly than a woman.

6 comments:

P.B. said...

Just a quick note about this to start with. I've started reading it and so far enjoying it very much. I just wanted to let you know that I added a bit of formatting because of your note at the top. Italic where it seemed sensible and bold etc. Do you want the title to appear a second time in the text and if so did you want it to be different from the title of the post?

Ah yes, I also added a line space between paragraphs. :) Any problems with it just let me know. Thanks and I'll get back to you about the rest soon! :)

Steve said...

Sam:

Glad to see you are back; I missed your writing. PB told me to read this when I got a chance and I’m finally getting around to it. I think you have another good one here in the works.

The only things I could find to help you right now are some typos that I know you will catch anyway when you revise.

Great beginning…It grabs me right off.

“I knew that something was wrong with Stephen when his calls began to come regularly and started to write me letters again.” Should be …and he started to write me ..”

“When first left home, he wrote once a week for several months,” should read ..When he..


I think I would drop this from the end of the fourth para. “All of this will become apparent as events unfold.” It seems to interrupt the flow.

…a comma after calloused? And in the next line perhaps: skinny legs from which he began… add a “he” after which, or drop the “from which” and just say “that began…”

“thin expressive lips. Small hands, roughly calloused with feet just as small and skinny legs from which began to lose hair at the age of seventeen.”

Instead of “that’s” try “that he’s”

“The first thing you’ve got to know about Steve is that’s a very smart guy who
loves to fuck very dumb girls.”


Add the word “girls” after the comma in the second line.

Derek,” he’d say, “we actually talked and it was great. She could actually keep up. I never meet girls that can keep up, that are really interested in things.”



Good job Sam. I’m looking forward to the rest of this and where you take it.

-Steve

P.B. said...

Nice epigram to start and it heightens the reader's curiosity when put with that first paragraph. That first paragraph is very nice. :)

As Steve mentioned, there are some little errors but it looks to me like he caught them all.

I loved this bit:

I prefer the image of a pendulum—swinging back and forth between two poles but never resting in the middle. On one end, the life of the mind; he could be intellectually brilliant when he wanted to be. On the other, a sordid, drunken, shell of an animal that he unsuccessfully tried to hide.

Of course, when a pendulum stops swinging and rests, it is useless. Personally, I think he began to unwind when he came to believe that he needed to maintain some equilibrium. In doing so, he lost himself. He did not realize that there is as much equilibrium in motion—what Bergson calls duration—as in stasis. It was that very motion that individualized him. All of this will become apparent as events unfold.

What a great description! But I would advise you to drop that last sentence. It really subtracts from the foregoing and doesn't really add anything to the rest that I can see.

She seems like his analyst/therapist or maybe an old teacher but she doesn't speak about Stephen as if she considered him a close friend. I've thought a good deal about why this is exactly and I think it's just that everything she says about him is so precise. So analytical. Does this make sense? If she is his analyst then this is perfect but if she's a friend then I think maybe you need to lighten up what she says about him. Make it a little less technical and a little more wistful perhaps?

I think you have Derek right. A casual friend, a drinking buddy. His perception feels right to me. Excellent start, Sam. I'm looking forward to the next installment. Thanks!

Sam Bivins said...

I'm glad you guys liked this. I will make the revisions soon, and will have the next installment up by the end of the week. Steve, thanks for catching the silly typos. I write everything out longhand and then type it up to catch the mistakes/make quick revisions, but sometimes the keyboard has a mind of its own.

With regards to Jen, I hope that their relationship will become clearer after a while, although I've toyed with the idea of making her his therapist. We'll see what happens.

literary.overdose said...

sam, sorry it has taken me so long to get to this. i agree with the comments left already, especially the ones by pb. i think the pendulum bit is some of the strongest writing in this piece. really enjoyed that bit and i know you can work it in throughout the piece. also, i very much enjoyed the first paragraph of the "derek" section. it sounded very much like a "witness" to an event, and the guy is obviously full of personality.

one thing that i would like to see, and i am sure that i will as the story progresses, is more showing and less telling. i think there's a missed opportunity with the paragraph beginning, "his demeanor is more difficult to pin down". i mean, there's great description here but i want to see it happening. maybe relate stories about when jen actually knew him--what happened to give her this insight? maybe a few events like this will help to clarify their relationship, both in your mind and in the minds of the readers.

one other thing--maybe its just me, but i have a problem with the sentence " On the other, a sordid, drunken, shell of an animal that he unsuccessfully tried to hide." First of all, its a fragment, so i think you need to add a "he" in there somewhere, or else restructure. second, i don't think that the term "animal" works well here. i get the feeling that you're trying to avoid the cliche too openly and grasping for some other word. i would rather you just deleted that word, calling him a "shell".

besides that, i am waiting with anticipation for the next installment!!

P.B. said...

I don't usually comment on other comments but those were some great observations, LO! I don't know if Sam will agree but I think the suggestion about adding scenes from the time when she knew him could really work. They would definitely help me feel I understood the story and who these people are.

I too had a problem with "animal" and "shell" in that description but I did not say so because I couldn't come up with a better idea. Anyway, just wanted to say great job. :)