Friday, February 13, 2009

Dessert

First draft of another very short one.

This is really just an exercise that I came up with. It was a small bit of dialogue between two people, called Cake, and nothing else; just the dialogue. I rewrote it from a different point of view and made up the plot. I also had to change the dialogue a little to make it fit my plot. I have no idea who the author of “Cake” is. If anyone might know or has come across it before, let me know and I’ll give credit. Anyway, have a look and let me know what you think.


Dessert


Careful to avoid the frosting roses, I reached over and scooped up a big piece of icing with my finger. “Man, this looks great.”

Nora, set the cake down and curled up on the floor next to the couch. “Is it good?” she asked.

Licking my finger, “Oh yeah, I’ll take a big piece. Don’t want to sit up here?”

Touching the edge of the blade with her finger, “No, I’m fine. Listen, we need to talk.”

I knew this was coming. I watched her cut into it, biting her bottom lip while shoving the knife in to slide out a huge chunk of chocolate cake. I didn’t know it was chocolate under the white icing; I hate chocolate. Arching her back she handed the slab of cake up to me and stayed on the floor watching me while I ate. “This is good” I lied as I watched her toying with the knife again while I ate; I couldn’t help thinking of a cat stretching her claws.

“Another piece?”

“Oh I’m good. I don’t think I could eat another.”

“Ok, so now what?”

“I don’t know.” Delaying the inevitable I asked: “Want to see what’s on TV?”

She let a sigh and settled back on her hands without looking up at me “That’s not what I meant. I mean what I asked you to think about.”

“Maybe I will have another piece.”

“I’ll get it for you in a minute.”

Watch out for the claws I thought, as I set the plate on the floor. “Listen Nora, I just can’t see it working out between us with all the traveling that I have to do. It really wouldn’t be fair to you.”

“No?” Pawing her way up on the couch next to me, she pushed that mane of hair to the side to look at me with those biscotti eyes. She took the plate, put it on the floor and with a hand behind my neck pulled my face to hers.

“Never mind about the cake” I said.

2 comments:

Taidgh Lynch said...

Hi Steve. Very fine indeed. You are very handy with prose. Thanks for this. I couldn't find any bit of helpful tips to give you. All I can say is - well done!

Anis Syazwani said...

lovely blog, dear xo

http://anissyazwani.blogspot.com/