Saturday, March 29, 2008

Allure



I .

I can’t remember exactly when it was now, but I remember when I first saw her. At least I think it was the first time I had ever seen her, maybe not.

I was in that little bar that I used to eat at several times a week; the one where I would sit and listen to the miners who would come in for lunch and sit and smoke while they talked and bitched about whatever topic one of them would bring up. I would sit and listen, pretending to read the paper, or stare at the spilled ring of coffee on my table while playing out their stories in my mind. I could see the one in the dirty carhart jeans. The one that held his cigarette between his middle and ring finger because his index finger was missing; listening as he said how fucked up he had been the night before and how he felt like shit now. I could see without looking the one that sat across from him. He wore a frayed flannel shirt that was worn so thin that you could almost see right through it. He ate his bacon cheeseburger leaning over his plate with grease glistening on both hands. He would mutter an occasional “no shit” and continue eating without looking up at his buddy.

I sat there until I knew it was time to go. The waitress had asked me twice if I wanted anything else. She looked at me as if to say: either order something or get the hell out of here. I paid and left.

She was standing with her back to me. I couldn’t tell what she was doing, I couldn’t even see her face, but for some reason her presence stopped me. Perhaps it was a certain allure in the way she just stood there. Her body had a nice shape. She wasn’t a knockout, but better than average for around here. She had her arms folded in front of her as she leaned against the awning post and just stood there. I lit a cigarette and coughed hoping the sound of some one behind her might cause her to turn around, but she didn’t. So I stood there smoking and she stood there with her back to me. I studied the back of her upper arms and the curve of her hips without trying to be too obvious; the bare skin at the small of her back where her black tank top didn’t quite reach the waist of her jeans. I looked at her hair that came down to the middle of her back, tangled and the color of dry straw, no, more like sand, but smooth. As I said, from what I could see she wasn’t bad looking and I couldn’t keep my eyes off of her. After a minute the miners began coming out so I thought I better go. Maybe she was waiting for one of them. Maybe she was waiting for the one that got so “fucked up” the night before. Maybe she was pissed off and was going to let him have it right there. No idea. I wanted to see her face. I really wanted to see her face.



II .

I was in my second year of college. I don’t really remember why I was in college except that I had this overwhelming desire to do something after high school. The idea of going to college intrigued me. I ended up hating it. Oh, I started out fine with my general education requirements. I took the calculus, technical writing, anthropology; all these courses seemed easy to me. I hate to say it, but they were almost boring. I sat in lectures and just could not focus. I would think about the weekend I had just had, going fishing, getting drunk, or my bank statement; anything except the lecture. I never took notes.

The trouble started my junior year. Up until then I had not decided on my major; engineering had to be more challenging than most of the other majors offered. I chose mechanical and this is when I had to get serious about school. It’s also when my grades began to drop. I didn’t know any mechanical engineers at the time; I only knew the reputation that the program had. It’s funny though, the harder it got for me, the more determined I became. I was going to become a mechanical engineer. I no longer day dreamed about the weekend, getting drunk, going fishing, or much else. Instead I saw myself working in research, writing papers, and much acclaim for the new engineer. The reality though was that I worked like a dog, barely graduated and ended up with a twenty five thousand dollar a year job doing clerical work for a mining company. No one would hire me as an engineer with my grade point average.

I sat in an office every day staring at spreadsheets on a thirteen inch monitor. I had a round grey metal waste basket and one of those grey metal desks, you know, the kind that you can find in your typical government office with some rude civil servant behind it that won’t look at you. I didn’t have a window in my office, but that’s probably good because if I had I wouldn’t have got much done. I’m not exactly sure what color the tile on the floor was. I don’t think it was every really white, it was just sort of a dull beige color; or maybe it was sand. I wanted to see white.

Once again I did think about my bank statement a lot. With student loans to pay off and a twenty five thousand dollar salary it was on my mind quite a bit. You know, I really would have liked to see white.



III .

The Staff Sergeant was tired, so was I. I could see it through the dust on his face as he as he took a drink from his camel back. We had been lying in a filthy stinking ditch along the road for nearly twelve hours. My platoon was on its fifth mission that month to grab insurgent leadership from a town twenty five miles from our forward operating base. Two miles from the town the lead Stryker hit an I.E.D., and then everything went to hell. We are severely outnumbered and the Apaches were not available to provide support for another two hours. At first the fighting was heavy; R.P.G.s took out two of the hummvees while we took cover and returned fire. Then the fighting was sporadic, mostly they were just harassing us with small arms fire while we waited for air support.

The Army was a way to pay off my student loans. At least that’s what I told everyone. The truth is I just had to get out of that office with no window. I wanted something else; there has to be something better than this. So I went through OCS, was commissioned a Second Lieutenant, and soon after left for Iraq. The first four missions such as this went smooth, but this one was pretty much a text book example of what you don’t want to happen.

I reloaded one of my spent magazines and looked over at my sergeant. He was lying on his back with his hands folded on his 16 across his chest. He turned his head toward me and although he didn’t say anything, the look on his face, that sand in the corners of his eyes told me everything. I’d really like to see an Apache right about now.



IV .

I couldn’t go. I took a few steps away on the sidewalk, lit a cigarette and took out my cell phone. While I stood there pretending to look at messages I kept looking up at her back and her sand colored hair. The two miners were standing right outside of the door. Nine fingers lit another cigarette while the other one stuffed a big wad of dip into his mouth. She kept leaning against that post; she obviously wasn’t waiting on the miners and they hardly seemed to notice her. They were talking but I couldn’t make out what they were saying. I was sure they weren’t talking about her. I had to see her face; find some way to get her to turn around. The miners weren’t helping much and I couldn’t stand there thumbing my phone, sneaking looks at her much longer.

My phone rang. She turned around. She looked at me as though she saw nothing else - only me, with blue eyes that drilled right through me. That hair framing her face, she smiled as though she recognized me. She ran both of her hands up through that beautifully tangled sand colored hair. Her eyes never left me as she lowered her chin a little, still smiling, and swayed a little with her hands behind her head. I swallowed, shut off my phone and put it back into my pocket, dropped my cigarette, turned and left. She smiled again, then turned back to leaning on her post. I really wanted to see her face.





He Always Does – Allure

Spinning around
arms outstretched
grinning and giddy like a
child you once were.
It’s your dance Janine
the same dance you always do
to music that only the both
of you can hear
- he always stands

over there - smoking
you see him and stop
wavering just a little
unbalanced fingers entwined
behind your tangles.
Janine you know he can’t
avoid your eyes
inviting, vibrant and
deep, oh how deep.
How could he turn away?
But he does turn away
Janine
- he always does.

He steps on his
cigarette and leaves.
Oh well, just a little shrug
then a laugh as you
begin turning
it’s your dance again
Janine, but you know
he’ll come back
- he always does.



6 comments:

Steve said...

I think this is a little bit of a departure for me. I haven’t written much lately, so this may be why. I have wanted to do something with "He Always Does" for awhile now and this has been gelling away in the back of my mind…until last night. Anyway, have a read if you will and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks, Steve

Alaska Steve said...

Hey Steve, I couldn't turn away, I had to read it to the end. I think the way you put in all the details makes it easy to see exactly what you are writing about.

I'm not quite sure what it all means - how the poem fits with the rest. I first take is that perhaps they've gone on and had long term relationship and she always goes back to that same hands in the hair motion she made that first time their eyes met.

literary.overdose said...

I have to say, I absolutely loved this. The introduction had be riveted and I neglected my overdue paper to read it twice. I think that your description of the two men in the diner was particularly strong. I liked the man who "...held his cigarette between his middle and ring finger because his index finger was missing", and the one who "...wore a frayed flannel shirt that was worn so thin that you could almost see right through it". I also liked the description of the glistening grease from the cheeseburger. The fact that the narrator can't see the woman's face, and must describe her without this crucial aspect adds, I think, excellent tension to the story. I also enjoyed how this desire tied the sections together...wanting to see her face, wanting to see white, and wanting to see an Apache. It really brought things together for me, with the frustrated desire and longing of the piece. However, I did get distracted when you described her hair...you said "sand" or "hair like sand" quite a few times in a very small space. It kind of broke the rythm for me, and maybe you want to use some other wording--you could still use sandlike ideas, but instead maybe use the idea of the beach instead of coming straight out and using the word sand once again. Or maybe not, feel free to take my comments with a grain of sand--i mean salt. :-)

Steve said...

Steve and L.O.

Thanks so much for reading and your help with this one. I’m glad you both enjoyed it.

Your advice is right on and I will use it when I go back to write the final draft…after sitting on it for a few days.

L.O. I saw that you just posted also. I’m getting ready to go to work right now, give me a day or two to get to it.

Steve

P.B. said...

Wow, Steve, outstanding piece. I wrote the rest of my comments before reading anyone else's until just now. I find I agree with what both Steve and LO had to say also.

The first section of this is a compelling little snapshot and a familiar one. I think we’ve all had a similar experience especially in a diner. The sense of place is nicely established but what I came away wondering about was time. How old is your speaker? Maybe I missed it somehow but I just couldn’t tell. When he’s in college next I didn’t know if I was moving forward or backward.

After reading through the whole piece several times I finally got it. My mind is in a swamp somewhere these days. It's the lifetime that matters, not the sequence. Is that it? I like it. :)

"I was in that little bar that I used to eat at several times a week; the one where I would sit and listen to the miners who would come in for lunch and sit and smoke while they talked and bitched about whatever topic one of them would bring up."

Consider breaking that up into two sentences instead of the semicolon?

"...he said how fucked up he had been the night before and how he felt like shit now..."

I think "said" is generally used when quoting someone verbatim or else it indicates a close paraphrase. This is more in the way of story telling though so shouldn't it be "he talked about" or maybe "he told them"?

"I studied the back of her upper arms and the curve of her hips without trying to be too obvious..."

Did you mean, trying not to be too obvious?

At the end of the first section, I think you meant, "thought I'd better go." I like the ending of this section very much, Steve. Seems very genuine to me, like exactly the sort of things that would be running through a guy's mind in this situation. I like the understated urgency of, "I really wanted to see her face." I get that.

The second section starts with a great line! I do want a paragraph break after, "I ended up hating it." Just seems a natural place to end that paragraph and the next sentence seems a natural place to begin a new one.

The office, wow. Perfectly captured drabness. LOL Boy, do I know this office! Sadly enough, I've been there too and I think most have endured the gray work world. Nicely described. I think you meant, "I don't think it was ever really white..."

The second and third sections have numerous problems with tense. I won't point them out because I'm sure you'll spot them yourself when you go over this again and also I'm getting much too long winded as usual. LOL

About the poem, maybe it's my depressed state of mind at the moment but I think I'd like to see you end it after the second stanza. I know you're creating a circle but for me it works better if it's only hinted at rather than completed. Or maybe I'm just nuts.

Thanks for the enjoyable read, Steve, and for your patience. Cheers!

Steve said...

P.B.

Yes, you got it. Only the lifetime is what matters here.

As always, great advice. I had been holding off on going through this again and writing the final draft until I heard from you.

Take care of yourself.

Thanks for the reading, all of you.

Steve