Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Grandma got run over by a raindeer…in Vegas?

The skin on the tree outside my window more closely resembles really bad acne... or a village of dribble castles at the beach, than bark. I cannot see the trunk from here, since I'm on the second floor, so it just looks like two granny legs splitting up into the air. The ankle of the left leg has a green feather boa cascading off it, about to flutter to the floor. The sun comes out, illuminating granny's castle-skin, and instead of looking like she's having wild fun at the Golden Nugget, she suddenly looks more like a deserted statue, half buried in the sand. I guess it's true that what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. I can't help but be reminded of a crime scene investigation TV show now. Who got Granny so drunk that she felt like she was 20 again, and then penetrated her with a knife a little sharper than the one she was expecting? Who dumped her shriveled, rigid body in the desert, with only a feather boa to keep her warm; and, of course, who is sitting at home waiting for her to come back from vacation?

These questions may never be answered. All I know is that we've got a Jane Doe outside my window, and her legs look like a tiny village of dribble castles has decided she would be a good place at which to set up camp.

4 comments:

Karma said...

Ooooooooooooooo!!! :D

Very vivid and visual, I love the comedic imagery!!! Sounds like the sort of bored daydreaming I do when I ought to be working on homework, or cleaning the house.

*Grin* I really enjoyed this!

P.B. said...

First of all, I concur with Orianna about this little piece. Just a couple of minor questions though…

Did you mean raindeer or reindeer? :)

And about this:

"…her legs look like a tiny village of dribble castles has decided she would be a good place at which to set up camp."

I must confess to not knowing what dribble castles are exactly but I can't picture them deciding to set up a camp anywhere…so maybe I'm missing something? :)

Thanks.

P.B. said...

The fifties had enough pestilence (i.e. the hardcore cold war, McCarthy, blacklists, the Korean War) but this song was not among them. Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer was a hit in about 1983 (another miserable decade if you're asking me, complete with utterly miserable music).

I'm not a huge fan of fifties music or anything but it was never remotely as bad as the tripe that was popular in the eighties. Just had to clear that up. :D

P.B. said...

I understand what a dribble castle is now but I still think it would be a stretch to believe even metaphorically that they could decide to relocate. :D