Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The Betrayal

I remember that first day – in the full flush of youth. I remember it well.

There’s a whole pile of photographs somewhere logging our rose-petal journey into oblivion. To this day it takes my breath away to think how fragile life can become when someone like me opens their home or their heart to anyone other than family.
..........................................................................................................................................................


Time is before all this began.

Just before that, although there is no picture taken to record it, you found me jumping and cheering his team along. You had walked into my life with such boyish sure-footedness that you almost instantly belonged. I still remember how I had moved up so that you could sit rather than stand as you were so intent on awkwardly doing.

It was you that had insisted on taking the picture of Nevin and me. We sat, the three of us, cheering and booing the other teams along. After that you seemed to turn up every Sunday, regardless of how unimportant the game, and I began to look out for you. Finally, I had a friend: a foreigner in a foreign land, I had finally found someone other than my beloved husband who could speak my own language to me.

You listened to me, to my husband, tirelessly. You read my stories and you supported his new team as often as you questioned his every new theory on why a New Yugoslavia might be formed. He knew all too well that I lived so far from anything I could call home that he was only too happy to know there was someone there to take up the slack while he was training or travelling.

Here’s another picture. This one was taken on one of those rare afternoons when Nevin was free and not out playing 'soldiers' with the boys. We are messing about in the woods by some stream; you stand, balancing on one leg, looking impishly silly. You were trying to touch the far bank of the river with a bit of dead willow. You quote some long dead poet and talk about all the muscles you have to use to hold this pose with hilarious sincerity.

I have an image of us the night before; you and I talking in some small candle-lit Parisian-like café. We discuss art and literature, life and love. You asked me if I would go to some obscure photographic exhibition that a friend of yours had mounted – pictures of some of the, as Nevin put it, ‘alleged’ atrocities that seemed to appear with frightening frequency. I laughed to be asked so officially and teased you about your ‘friend’ until I saw the tears well up.

We spent too many days together but I was lonely and he could see I needed a friend. It made him feel less guilty when he had to go to camp for weeks at a time. He liked you because, as he saw it, you adored me. It is only now that I think - how strange.

My mother came to stay for two long, long weeks and took an immediate view to anything Croatian/Serbian – but most especially toYou. She loathed your presence, she derided our friendship and said that we were infantile in our attachment. She tried so hard to get Nevin to forbid you from coming round. He laughed at that even though he spent forever on the phone nodding seriously at every impassioned plea my mother could slip into the weekly, then fortnightly phone-calls.

This, as opposed to your mother – our co-conspirator – who packed our picnic lunches and lent us her car so that I could at least see Nevin when camp was only four or five hours away. She sent him home-made wine and strange salty biscuits along with some horrendously smelly cheese: cheese that I made you hold out the window that long song-filled drive there; your sweet mother, who lied as often as not to your father when asked why it was that yet again your bed was empty.

How angry I was at him for leaving me alone so often and for so long. It was a slow invisible anger that crept up on me, one that hid its thoughts of revenge until they had all but taken over. My loneliness left a pail, thin patina on my lips. It broke into my dreams and left me in a sweat.

And there you were - you had waited, although I didn’t see it, until I was well and truly hooked; until I couldn’t imagine or even remember our life without you. And then I kissed you - quite unexpectedly. It was me; it was I - I that broke the distance and changed the view. But it was you that laid the ground and lay in wait.

‘There woke in me a demon that stalks my conscious still.’


Ireas Jones

One stupid afternoon, walking by the sea, something tipped the balance and everything was changed. I sent you away; I stopped eating; I could’t speak for days - I could hardly breath and then, then the tears came… rolling down my cheeks one after the other. And that life in me that I was, until then, unaware of, that promise of a real family - the dream that ends with ‘and they lived happily ever after’ left the same way it came.

He hadn’t come home, and wouldn't, he said, not until your mother had called and arranged for you to look after me. He seemed so distant and afraid - a stranger almost. He spoke through you; he tiptoed round my bed and escaped for fresh air whenever he could. He had that hound-dog look he gets when he is out of his depth. Poor Nevin, trying to find his way though something neither of us was prepared for in the first place.

So much had changed. That last summer when the silence was strained - I could not look at you and he could not look at me. He tried, for as long as he was able - he held my hand and prayed that I would not drown in the river I had made out of my own tears; him not knowing then that in a single kiss I had betrayed all that we held dear. I pushed him further still – away from me and into your soft consoling arms.

If I could have a last picture it would be this: I, wrapped in a blanket, come out onto the decking of your family’s summer home to find him kissing you. I stopped and watched only to see all the tenderness I had lost be lavished onto someone I had now somehow claimed as my own. The day was drawing in, the rose coloured sky greying; I could see it all etched out against that sky; hear it all – amplified; your mother’s favourite old rattan love-seat creaking under the strain; I tip-toed back from whence I came and fell into a dreamless sleep broken only much later by the strange muffled sound of his relentless sobbing.

We moved, the three of us, wading through the mire that had become our existence. We talked, but nothing was really said. A new season was about to begin and suddenly there was the threat of war. I could not face the thought of going through the whole thing again: the farce. He loved you, it was plain to see; and I loved him. You, you said, loved us equally. What a mess!

So I left.

I left the summer home your parents had built to retire in. I left the man I had promised to stay with ‘for richer, for poorer, till death us do …’ I left my books and I left you. I took only the clothes I was standing in - taking little else but the pile of pictures of our brief encounter – pictures left haphazardly piled on a kitchen shelf by the back door.

And then there was no basketball, no summer hikes, no lightness in the laughter - only talk of war. My dreams of death became a desperate bid for life as your beautiful country followed us down our rose-petaled journey into oblivion.

My mother begged me to leave, saying only that my place was either by my husband’s side or with her at home. So many of our friends were on the verge of leaving but having nowhere else to go they stayed and prayed thinking only that it couldn’t get any worse.

On the drive to the border I tried to close my mind to the haunting presence of the dispossessed. They lined the roads - what little left of their lives in-tow, but all I could think of was that you and Nevin might not yet have got out.

I can not bring myself to say your name. I have cursed your very existence but it is you not he that I write about. Because, on that awful day, when I was leaving, I glanced into my rear-view mirror and could swear I saw Nevin in a uniform, his gun slung carelessly across his chest as he worked his way through the last possessions of the dispossessed.

The End.

3 comments:

Alaska Steve said...

Amalie - Wow, this is beautiful, in so many ways. You tell your story thru the details she remembers - the photos, real and in her head - so that we live the story with her. You use your words exquisitely, painting your heavy story so lightly. You make this 'betrayal' seem perfectly natural, understandable. It's all there - a beautiful prose-poem.

A few thoughts as I was reading:

"Finally, I had a friend: a foreigner in a foreign land, I had finally found someone other than my beloved husband who could speak my own language to me."
"He knew all too well that I lived so far from anything I could call home"

[It took me a long time to figure out what this part was about. I began assuming that it took place in the US, that the couple were from Yugoslavia, and that "You" was another person from Yugoslavia (or one of the states of the former Yugoslavia.) It was only when she was leaving for the border that I had to refigure it out. I went back and reread it all (not just to figure it out, but because it was so beautifully done.) It was only somewhere into the second time around that I concluded that the husband is at home in this Balkan land, she is a foreigner, and that "you" is from her country too, or at least is also a foreigner who can speak her language. Thus the mother's two week visit becomes clear. While the nature of and development of the emotional relationships should only be slowly revealed, it seems to me that the nationalities and locale are not something we should be working out. Some minor changes could make the nationalities of the key players clearer. (Doesn't need to say what her nationality is, only that it is different from his, he's in his home country, and "you" is the same as she - which I think is clear.)]


"...so intent on awkwardly doing." I don't think he intended to be awkward. Perhaps "...so awkwardly intent on doing." would convey your meaning better.

"My mother came to stay for two long, long weeks and took an immediate view to anything Croatian/Serbian – but most especially toYou." [

[I think the 'you' shouldn't be capitalized.

"took an immediate view" here based on what comes later seems to imply negative. By itself, that phrase is neutral for me. Did you leave out a word? ]

‘There woke in me a demon that stalks my conscious still.’ [Perhaps I should know this quotation. I did google it and it pointed me to your poem. If it isn't some famous quotation, but in fact your words, why the quotes?]


[What is "Ireas Jones"? I don't understand this.]

"And that life in me that I was, until then, unaware of, that promise of a real family - the dream that ends with ‘and they lived happily ever after’ left the same way it came."

[I had to work really hard to follow this. It might be easier with a comma after "...ever after". It is the life at the beginning of the sentence, I think, that has left.]

". Poor Nevin, trying to find his way though something neither of us was prepared for in the first place.
[ Through? instead of 'though'?]


"If I could have a last picture it would be this: I, wrapped in a blanket, come out onto the decking of your family’s summer home to find him kissing you.
[At first I didn't realize that this scene actually happened, I think because of the grammar. "If I could have...it would be this: I...come out..." Grammatically this sounds like a wish. I read it as "here's the picture I wish I had, instead of the one I have." But I think that you are saying something like "I wish I had a picture of when I came out and ..."]

"He loved you, it was plain to see; and I loved him. You, you said, loved us equally. What a mess!"

[Two things here. 1. The easy one first - "What a mess!" I laughed when I read that. It breaks the mood of all the rest. I don't know if it is bad or good. Everything else is really so poetic and other worldly. "What a mess" is very prosaic and brings us very much back to earth. Just an observation.
2. I thought it was going to say, "and I loved you" not 'him." The whole story/poem is addressed to 'you' not to 'him'. She even mentions that fact. Her connection is to 'you.' "He" it seems has become estranged. When she confesses that she initiated the kiss, she also says that 'You' set the trap. But it seems that 'he' set the trap. Anyway, that was my reaction.



"So I left.

I left the summer home your parents had built to retire in. I left the man I had promised to stay with ‘for richer, for poorer, till death us do …’ I left my books and I left you.

My mother begged me to leave, "

['mother begged me to leave' comes after "I left" five times already. For me the order is funny.]


Amalie, the whole work is truly lovely and delicately tells a powerful story. Ask PB, I don't praise what I don't like. My observations about the specifics are just there for you to consider - things I though as I read.

Steve

amalie said...

Dear Steve,
I am not sure if I got the chance to thank you for the clear feedback - it has really helped me to go about reworking the story without losing sight of what I wanted to write.

I must find a way to be clearer within the text while retaining what I had first set out to do - lead the reader up the garden path as it were.

The writing experiment was based on something that was done by the script writers of the film The Sixth Sense. On first watching the film we assumn one thing only to learn that assumption was wrong. We then have to watch it again to see if there was anything to indicate otherwise.

That is how I wanted the story to come across: clear in every respect but one - the gender of the third person.

From your feedback I see that I have tried to be a tad bit too clever and have ended up sacrificing the very clarity I need. It also comes of being too close to a story.

"so awkwardly intent on doing" is exactly right; thank you.

Iras Jones is the name used to pull three stories together... or three 'letters'. Three stories that although told seperatly are very much linked. Within each there is some reference to the other. However, I don't think I need the inverted commas to do this so I'll get rid of them.

"took an immediate view to anything" This line has bothered me right from the start; I wanted to use the preposition 'on' as in 'had a view on' but neither worked very well. It is interesting to see that you picked up on this. As yet, I have no idea as to how to fix it :)

The cappitalised 'you' is entirly unneseccery and was only put in for effect because I hear the story in my head (a bit like a play for radio).

‘and they lived happily ever after’ should, of course have a comma after it...sloppy.

So is the spelling mistake - 'though' for 'through'. This is partly why I am glad to be here. I have a hard time seeing my own darned mistakes!

I like the way you read things, Steve. I have an image of you taking something apart and then reassembiling it just to get a sense of what put it together in the first place. You are very good at it.

As to "He loved you, it was plain to see; and I loved him. You, you said, loved us equally. What a mess!" Well, your first comment made me laugh out loud! I was unsure as to whether to keep the 'what a mess' or not but I liked the feeling it left so it stayed. As to...'and I loved him' I felt that the character would say the one thing but mean the other and that the lie would be clear. Again, I may be trying to be too clever.

I have just got back from my Christmas break and am looking forward to being on site. Thank you, once again for the feedback; I hope to repost the story sometime in the coming month.

Right now I think I just want to read, read, read. I am not sure if it is ok to do this but I'm going to ask anyway; what do you do?

I hope your Christmas and New Year were good,
Amalie

ps. please forgive my spelling. I am dyslexic and sometimes only see what I mean rather than what I have written.

Steve said...

Amalie:

Forgive me if I’m a little slow getting around to this…I’ve been gone for a couple of weeks and am trying to get caught up on all that has been going on.

I see Steve gave you some excellent feedback so I’ll just add the one thing (only one really) that I got hung up on. I had a problem keeping track of who was who throughout the story. For instance I got a little lost here; I’m not sure is “he” the husband or is “he” “You”?

You listened to me, to my husband, tirelessly. You read my stories and you supported his new team as often as you questioned his every new theory on why a New Yugoslavia might be formed. He knew all too well that I lived so far from anything I could call home that he was only too happy to know there was someone there to take up the slack while he was training or travelling.

…and again here, but with Nevin:

He hadn’t come home, and wouldn't, he said, not until your mother had called and arranged for you to look after me. He seemed so distant and afraid - a stranger almost. He spoke through you; he tiptoed round my bed and escaped for fresh air whenever he could. He had that hound-dog look he gets when he is out of his depth. Poor Nevin, trying to find his way though something neither of us was prepared for in the first place.


Anyway, that aside, this is an excellent piece of work. I say that because I was taken in by the first few lines and held to the ending…and that’s how I really judge what I read.

I look forward to more of your work.

-Steve